ACQUIRING OF CITIZENSHIP OF THE REPUBLIC OF SERBIA BY ADMISSION
Admission to the citizenship of the Republic of Serbia (Hereinafter: “Citizenship“) is regulated by the Law on Citizenship of the Republic of Serbia (“Off. Gazette of RS”, no. 135/2004 and 90/2007) (Hereinafter: “Law“).
In addition to the legal requirements for acquiring of Citizenship, referring to the origin, birth on the territory of the Republic of Serbia or according to the international agreement, citizenship can be acquired also by admission, after conducted procedure from the side of the Ministry of internal affairs if all requirements prescribed by the Law are fulfilled.
A foreign citizen who, in line with the regulations on residence of foreign citizens, was allowed to permanently reside in the Republic of Serbia can, upon his own request, be admitted to the Citizenship if: (I) he/she is 18 years old and not deprived of working capacity, (II) he/she is released from foreign citizenship or he/she submits the evidence that he/she will be granted the dismissal if admitted to the citizenship of the Republic of Serbia, except in the case when a foreign country does not allow the release from citizenship or sets conditions for release that a foreign citizen cannot fulfill and a foreign citizen submits the statement that he/she renounces his/her former citizenship, or If a renunciation or loss of the former citizenship is not possible or cannot be reasonably expected, (III) he/she has had uninterrupted residence on the territory of the Republic of Serbia for at least three years until submitting of application, (IV) he/she submits a written statement that he/she considers the Republic of Serbia his/her state.
The Law further regulates other ways for acquiring of the citizenship by admission that are based on the birth, affiliation to the Serbian nation, emigration, marriage or national interest.
- A person born on the territory of the Republic of Serbia can be admitted to the Citizenship if he/she has been residing uninterruptedly on the territory of the Republic of Serbia for at least two years until submitting of application for admission and if he/she submits written statement that he/she considers the Republic of Serbia his/her own state.
- A foreign citizen who has been married to the citizen of the Republic of Serbia for at least three years and who was allowed permanent residence in the Republic of Serbia can be admitted to the Citizenship if he/she submits a written statement that he/she considers the Republic of Serbia his/her own state.
- An emigrant (the person who emigrated from the Republic of Serbia with intention to reside permanently abroad) and his descendant can be admitted to the Citizenship if they are 18 years of age and above and if they are not deprived of working capacity and if they submit a written statement that they consider the Republic of Serbia they own state.
- Foreign citizen can be admitted to the Citizenship if his/her admission to the Citizenship would be of interest for the Republic of Serbia.
- If both parents acquired Citizenship, also their child, who is less than 18 years old acquires Citizenship. At the request of a parent, who acquired Citizenship by admission, his/her child, who is less than 18 years old, acquires citizenship of the Republic of Serbia, if another parent agrees with that.
- A member of Serbian nation, with no residence on the territory of the Republic of Serbia, can be admitted to the Citizenship without release from the foreign citizenship, if he/she is 18 years old and above and if he/she is not deprived of working capacity and if he/she submits a written statement considering the Republic of Serbia his/her own state. Also under the same conditions the person born in another republic of former Social Federal Republic of Yugoslavia who had citizenship of that republic or is a citizen of another state founded on the territory of former SFRY, who resides on the territory of the Republic of Serbia as a refugee, expatriate or displaced person or who exiled abroad, can be admitted to the Citizenship.
For acquiring of Citizenship by admission it is necessary to apply to the competent Police department and submit certain documents as proof of the merits of the request, which varies depending on the admission basis, such as, for example. (i) a certified copy of the permanent residence approval in the Republic of Serbia, (ii) birth certificate, (III) marriage certificate, (IV) a written statement that he/she considers the Republic of Serbia his/her own state, (v) a copy of identity card for foreigners, (vi) proof of payment of a fee, when the basis for admission to the Citizenship is a marriage with a citizen of the Republic of Serbia.
Our Law Firm is at your disposal for any further questions and consultation related to the necessary documentation, applications and other.
Attorney at law Damir Petrović
The information contained herein has been provided only for the purpose of general information and cannot be considered as a legal opinion or legal advice. Accordingly, the Law Firm Petrović Mojsić & Partners disclaims all responsibility and accept no liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents contained herein.